At one time, air pumps were an essential item for aquariums. Although they are used less often these days, a good air pump is still a great aquarium accessory to have. Everything from bubble curtains to sponge filters and UGFs to moving decorations uses an air pump to make them work. This list details air pumps currently available for freshwater aquariums.
01 of 11
The Tetra Whisper is possibly the quietest air pump on the market. The pump employes several features to reduce noise, including a dome shape that flattens sound waves, a suspended motor, rubber feet to diffuse sound, and internal sound baffling compartments.
Available in five sizes: 10, 20, 40, 60, and 100, that accommodate tanks up to 100 gallons. The 10 through 40-gallon sizes have one outlet, while the 60 and 100-gallon models have two outlets. For tanks larger than 100 gallons, deep water, or multiple device applications, consider moving to the Whisper AP series.
02 of 11
Tetra replaced the former Tetratec Deep Water Air Pump product line, with the Whisper AP series. Their design makes them useful for deep tanks, applications with long air stones or setups with multiple airstones. Both models in the AP series are rated to pump air to 8 feet deep. The AP 150 is intended for tanks up to 150 gallons and has a single outlet, while the AP 300 is for tanks up to 300 gallons and has two outlets.
03 of 11
Hagen Marina offers a reliable product that is quiet and comes in four sizes: 50, 75, 100, and 200. The 50, 75 and 100-gallon models have a single outlet, while the 200-gallon model has two outlets. For a bit higher end model, look at the Hagen Fluval Q series.
04 of 11
The Hagen Fluval Q1 and Q2 air pumps are designed with a noise baffling chamber in addition to other features to make then quietest models the offer.
The Q1 has two outlets and is intended for aquariums of up to 80 gallons in size, while the Q2 has one outlet and is designed for larger tanks of up to 160 gallons. Although they are quiet, they do not perform well for deep water or multiple stone applications. For those situations, consider a Luft air pump.Continue to 5 of 11 below.
05 of 11
The Coralife Super Luft air pump is a high-pressure pump designed for high-pressure and high-flow devices. Suited for deep-water applications, multiple aquariums, long airstones, multiple airstones, limewood, box filters, under-gravel filters, and air-driven ornaments.
06 of 11
JW Fusion air pumps are a low cost reasonably quiet line of air pumps. Available in 6 models as follows:
- Fusion 200 - up to 20 gallons and 2 devices, has 1 outlet
- Fusion 300 - up to 30 gallons and 3 devices, has 1 outlet
- Fusion 400 - up to 40 gallons and 4 devices, has 1 outlet
- Fusion 500 - up to 60 gallons and 7 devices, has 2 outlets
- Fusion 200 - up to 75 gallons and 9 devices, has 2 outlets
- Fusion 200 - up to 110 gallons and 12 devices, has 2 outlets
07 of 11
Azoo air pumps are durable and inexpensive. Restricted to indoor use, they come in 6 models as follows:
- 2500 - up to 20 gallons, has 1 outlet
- 3500 - up to 25 gallons, has 1 outlet
- 5500 - up to 55 Gallons, has 2 outlets
- 6500 - up to 55 gallons, has 2 outlets
- 8500 - up to 100 gallons, has 2 outlets
- 9500 - up to 100 gallons, has 2 outlets
08 of 11
Rena air pumps are quiet, dependable and reasonably priced. Models 200,300 and 400 have adjustable flow rates. Available in 5 models as follows:
Continue to 9 of 11 below.
- 50 - up to 10 gallons, has 1 outlet
- 100 - up to 20 gallons, has 1 outlet
- 200 - up to 30 Gallons, has 1 outlet
- 300 - up to 80 gallons, has 1 outlet
- 400 - up to 160 gallons, has 2 outlets
09 of 11
Hydrofarm produces an inexpensive line of powerful air pumps that all feature adjustable flow rates. They also include models with multiple ports ranging up to as many as 8 outlets. Available in 4 models as follows:
- 50 GPH - 1 outlet
- 125 GPH - 2 outlets
- 240 GPH - 4 outlet2
- 400 GPH - 8 outlets
10 of 11
EcoPlus offers a well-made product line that is quite durable. Made from higher-end materials, the manufacturing cost is reflected in a higher sales price. All models have an adjustable flow rate. They also offer a heavier duty line that is geared for hydroponics and commercial aquarium setups. That line is also suitable for pond applications. The full EcoPlus product line is as follows:
- EcoPlus AIR-1 Plus Single Outlet Air Pump
- EcoPlus AIR-2 Dual Outlet Air Pump
- EcoPlus AIR-4 Four Outlet Air Pump
- EcoPlus AIR-8 Eight Outlet Air Pump
- EcoPlus Commercial 1 Hydroponic/Aquarium Air Pump
- EcoPlus Commercial 3 Hydroponic/Aquarium Air Pump
- EcoPlus Commercial Air 5 - 80 Watts Single Outlet
- EcoPlus Commercial 7 Hydroponic/Aquarium Air Pump
11 of 11
Danner Aqua-Supreme produces four inexpensively priced air pump models that meet most aquarium and pond needs. The multiple outlet models have adjustable flow rates. Models available are as follows:
- AP-2, 1 outlet
- AP-3, 1 outlet
- AP-4, 2 outlets
- AP-8, 4 outlets