Chris McLaughlin is a Northern California master gardener, homesteader, and published author who has over three decades of experience.
- Expert on rabbit and alpaca care
- Master gardener and homesteader for over 35 years
- Published multiple books and articles on gardening topics
Chris McLaughlin is a former writer for The Spruce, where she wrote extensively on gardening, homesteading, and the care of alpacas and rabbits. McLaughlin is a modern homesteader with a strong emphasis on home agriculture. She and her family have actively pursued a self-sufficient and intentional lifestyle from their current country home, as well as in the suburbs for many years prior. They share their farm in California's gold country with horses, goats, bees, chickens, rabbits, dogs, cats, and the occasional bottle lamb.
McLaughlin is the author of seven gardening books and owner of the Laughing Crow & Company website. She is the former home agriculture editor for From Scratch magazine and a former staff columnist at Fine Gardening.
McLaughlin completed the master gardening program in 2000 and extended her gardening specialty education by completing courses in The Wildlife Habitat Steward, Kids in Gardens Workshop, and Food, Land, and People programs.
McLaughlin is the author of several gardening books and one small livestock book including:
- "Heirloom Flowers: Bring the Vintage Beauty of Heritage Blooms to Your Modern Garden"
- "A Garden to Dye For"
- "Vertical Vegetable Gardening"
- "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Small-Space Gardening"
- "Hobby Farms: Small-Scale Rabbit Keeping"
- "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Heirloom Vegetables"
- "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Composting"
About The Spruce Pets
The Spruce Pets, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of pets website offering practical, real-life tips and training advice to help you care for your pet. The Spruce Pets reaches 10 million people each month. Learn more about us, our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy veterinarian advice.