If you enjoy the calming effect of a beautiful aquarium, then a 10-gallon mini-reef clownfish tank might be a good solution. However, setting up this kind of tank will not be inexpensive: You'll need to include funds for reef lighting and soft corals, but the final result will be well worth it. As of January 2018, you can expect to pay the following prices for a complete setup.
Tank and Major Parts
- Aqueon 20 Power Filter — $18.99
- 2 Coralife 18 watt 50/50 Mini-Compact Bulbs — $10.08 each
- Hagen AquaClear 20 Powerhead — $22.99
- Marineland Visi-Therm Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt — $34.99
- Aquarium digital thermometer — $4.99
- Mag-Float Glass Aquarium Cleaner — $8.99
- Instant Ocean SeaTest Hydrometer — $10.49
Salt and Rocks
- CaribSea Arag-Alive 20-Pound Special Grade Reef Sand, Fiji Pink — $26.56
- Three pieces Fiji dry live rock — $2.99 each
- Instant Ocean Salt, 10 Gallon — $9.50
Fish, Sea Animals, and Plants
- Two tank-raised Ocellaris Clownfish — $19.95 to $39.95 each, depending on size, or $39.90 to $79.90 for two
- One Four-Stripe Damsel — $6.99
- Two Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs — $0.69 each
- One Astrea snail — $1.99
- One large Mexican Turbo snail — $2.99
- Marina Aquascaper Aquarium Plant Variety Pack - Corkscrew Vallisneria, Water Sprite & Amazon Sword Plant — $21.23
- One large natural sea shell — $7 to $10 or more.
Grand Total and Considerations
As you can see, it will take a hefty cash outlay to build a beautiful 10-gallon aquarium for clownfish.
Your grand total will be between about $300 to $350, depending on the size of clownfish and shell you choose. Of course, you'll need to add shipping costs. The nice thing is that you can order everything—even the fish and sea animals—online. Companies will ship everything to your door. So, you can build your aquarium without ever leaving home.
One way to save some money on the hardware is purchase a 10-gallon aquarium kit. These typically include a glass aquarium (with cover), lighting, a heater, and a filter. Many kits also include fish food and water conditioner as well as accessories, like a net and thermometer.