If you enjoy the calming effect of a beautiful aquarium, then a 10-gallon mini-reef clownfish tank might be a good solution. This aquarium can give you a full saltwater tank experience, and while saltwater tanks are not inexpensive, this one is small enough that it won't break the bank as you buy the components. A complete setup, including reef lighting and soft corals, along with all the other fish, animals, plants, and filtration equipment will cost about $370, at Jan. 2019 prices for online purchase.
Tank and Major Parts
- All-glass aquarium/aqueon 10-gallon aquarium with hood—$68.02
- Aqueon 20 power filter—$21.24
- 2 Coralife 18 watt 50/50 mini-compact bulbs—$22.72 ($11.36 each)
- Hagen AquaClear 20 powerhead—$16.09
- Marineland Visi-Therm aquarium heater, 50-Watt—$62.80
- Aquarium digital thermometer—$5.49
- Mag-Float glass aquarium cleaner—$8.89
- Instant Ocean SeaTest hydrometer—$17.69
Salt and Rocks
- CaribSea Arag-Alive 20-pound special grade reef sand, Fiji pink—$21.99
- Three pieces Fiji dry live rock—$5.98 ($2.99 each)
- Instant ocean salt, 10 Gallon—$17.69
Fish, Sea Animals, and Plants
- Two tank-raised Ocellaris clownfish—$48.00 to $89.00 ($24.00 to $44.95 each, depending on size)
- One four-stripe damsel fish—$5.40
- Two blue-legged hermit crabs—$1.18 ($0.59 each)
- One astrea snail—$1.99
- One large Mexican turbo snail—$2.99
- Marina Aquascaper aquarium plant variety pack—corkscrew Vallisneria, water sprite & Amazon sword plant—$17.76
- One large natural sea shell—$9.25.
Information and Instructions
Cost Total and Considerations
As you can see, a beautiful 10-gallon aquarium for clownfish represents a notable investment. Your grand total will be between about $370 to $420, depending on the size of clownfish you choose. Of course, you'll need to add shipping costs, where they apply. If you already have some of this equipment, costs can be slightly reduced.
Conveniently, everything you need—even the fish and sea animals—can be ordered online. Companies will ship everything to your door, so you can build your aquarium without ever leaving home
One way to save some money on the hardware is to purchase a 10-gallon aquarium kit. These typically include a glass aquarium (with cover), lighting, a heater, and a filter. Many kits also include fish food and water conditioner, as well as accessories such as a net and thermometer.