Specialties: Domestic animals, animal welfare, veterinary consulting
Dr. Jennifer Coates is an accomplished veterinarian, writer, editor, and consultant with years of experience in the fields of veterinary medicine, science, animal welfare, conservation, and communications. Dr. Coates is part of The Spruce Pets' veterinary review board.
- Member of The Spruce Pets Veterinary Review Board
- 25+ years of experience in the fields of veterinary medicine and animal welfare
- Licensed veterinarian since 1999, with ability to practice in Colorado and Wyoming
- Currently active in veterinary medicine as a writer, editor and consultant
- Past associate veterinarian at Home to Heaven In-Home Pet Hospice and Euthanasia (CO), Spring Creek Animal Hospital (WY), and Petersburg Animal Hospital (VA)
- Past chief of staff at Healthy Pet Animal Hospital (VA)
- Member of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Widely published author
As a young adult, Dr. Coates was employed by several veterinary clinics and other pet-related businesses. After graduating from college, she focused on the broader ideals of conservation and animal welfare through her work with the Animal Welfare Institute, Society for Animal Protective Legislation, and Wildlife Habitat Council before returning to her first love, veterinary medicine. After veterinary school, Jennifer served as an associate veterinarian and chief of staff in several veterinary practices in Virginia, Wyoming, and Colorado.
Over the years, Jennifer has learned that communication is one of the most important parts of being a veterinarian. Only with accurate information, she says, can pet parents be effective advocates for their animals. Jennifer has published several books, short stories, and thousands of web articles that all relate to veterinary medicine, pet care, and the human-animal bond. She has also appeared on radio and television in her role as veterinary consultant.
A Word From Jennifer Coates, DVM
"I always wanted to be a veterinarian, but over the years, I was surprised to find that providing accurate information to pet owners was one of the most satisfying parts of the job. I’m so excited to be working with The Spruce Pets, because I will now be able to do this on a much (much!) larger scale. Without accurate and up-to-date information, owners simply cannot effectively advocate for the best interests of their pets. I look forward to putting my years of experience to work for the widest audience possible."
Dr. Coates received her Bachelor of Science (Biology — Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior) at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec. She received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree at the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine in Blacksburg, Virginia.
Awards and Publications
• Dictionary of Veterinary Terms: Vet-Speak Deciphered for the Non-Veterinarian (Dogwise Publishing, 2007)
• Lizards (Eldorado Ink, 2009)
• Snakes (Eldorado Ink, 2009)
About The Spruce Pets
The Spruce Pets, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of pets website offering practical, real-life tips and training advice to help you care for your pet. The Spruce Pets reaches 10 million people each month. Learn more about us, our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy veterinarian advice.