Looking for the perfect name for your female Great Dane? From her impressive stature to her undeniable beauty, there are a lot of different factors that you can take into consideration when choosing a name.
To help you get inspired, we’ve rounded up 60 names that are totally fitting for these hulk-sized hounds, with obvious (and not-so-obvious) picks inspired by the very things that make your pup as magnificent as she is.
Top Female Great Dane Dog Names
Great Danes are one of the most recognizable breeds out there, and a lot of the most popular names for female Great Danes speak to the things that make them so stunning and unique. When you’re naming your pup, you may want to consider picking out a name that relays her size or her strong but sweet nature—and these are all great ones to start with.
- Cassiopeia (Cassie)
Tips For Naming Your Female Great Dane
There are no definitive rules when it comes to what name you choose for your dog, but there are some general best practices that you can follow. Whether you go with inspiration from your Great Dane’s size or not, picking a name for your dog is a big deal and it’s going to be with her for life—so it’s important to choose wisely.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when you’re naming your Great Dane:
- For training purposes, a name that starts with a hard letter such as S, T, or R might be easiest for your dog to pick up on.
- Try to keep your dog’s name to just one or two syllables, since that will help them understand what their name is and learn it faster. If you prefer a longer name, you may just want to keep that name on paper but have a shorter nickname that you use for day-to-day communication with your dog.
- Names that rhyme with key commands, such as May (“stay”), Bo (“no”), and Kitt (“sit”) could get confusing for your dog, so keep that in mind when making your choice.
- Don’t pick a name that you’ll be embarrassed to say out loud. While it may seem like a fun choice in the moment, keep in mind that whatever name you choose for your dog is one that you’ll have to call out regularly, including in public places like the vet and dog park.
And remember, it’s perfectly okay to change your dog’s name if you don’t like it after a couple of days! Pick a name, try it out, and see how it works out for you—as well as how your dog responds to it. If the name seems off, it’s better to switch it than stick with it. Just don't change it a few weeks down the line—this will only cause confusion for your dog once they are used to the name.
Nature Inspired Names for Female Great Danes
Like a mountain range or a towering tree, there’s no denying the beauty and grace associated with a Great Dane’s size. For that reason, you may want to look to nature-inspired names for your female pup.
- Annapurna (Anna)
- Everest (Eve or Evie)
- Tali (short for Talipot palm tree)
Regal Female Great Dane Names
Female Great Danes are clearly the queen bees of any dog park they attend, so why not choose a name that speaks to their royal appearance? Here are some ideas that might be a good fit, inspired by the queens and princesses who have preceded your own regal companion.
- Queen (or Queenie)
Other Dog Name Ideas
Looking for even more dog naming inspiration? Take a look at these helpful roundups: