German shepherds are one of the most popular dog breeds because they are loyal, intelligent, athletic, and striking to look at. Not only do they make wonderful pets, but these hard-working canines often have jobs as service dogs, with the military or police, or in security. Your German shepherd deserves a name that is as bold, strong, and unique as it is.
While picking your perfect pooch might have been easy, selecting the best German shepherd name might be more of a challenge. You might want a name that reflects your dog's heritage, size, strength, courage, or intelligence. Or you might just want a unique or even a whimsical name for your canine. Whatever your preference, there's inspiration ahead.
Here are more than 350 German shepherd names to suit your dog's personality, heritage, strength, courage, and more.
Top German Shepherd Names
Tips for Naming Your German Shepherd
Choosing the right name for your German shepherd is no small task. You want a name that matches your dog’s persona and power but isn’t too lengthy or complicated. Remember, you’ll need to give this name to the vet, tell it to all your friends, or shout it in the dog park.
You already know you have a big dog on your hands with a GSD, but is your dog more rough-and-tumble or sweet-as-sugar? Thinking about your dog’s personality can help you find a just-right name that will suit your pooch for the years to come. You can also play on popular German exports—like beer or automobiles, or name your GSD after a famous German, such as Einstein or Bach.
Girl German Shepherd Names
Pick a strong but feminine name with one of these popular options for your furry fräulein (which means ‘little miss’ in German).
Boy German Shepherd Names
For a male German shepherd, look no further than these Bavarian names that are perfect for boy dogs.
Auto-Inspired German Shepherd Names
Germany is known for its love of the open road and its luxury vehicles. If you’re a car buff, then pick an auto-inspired name for your German shepherd.
Unique German Shepherd Names
To draw even more inspiration for German shepherd names, consider these unique options that refer to Bavarian life and culture—including one of Germany’s most well-known exports, beer.
- Beck: German brewery in the city of Bremen.
- Bock: Type of lager-style beer.
- Deutsche: The word for ‘German,’ in the German language.
- Donner: Means ‘thunder’ in German.
- Dunkel: Describes a dark German beer.
- Gretel: Popular nursery rhyme character from German fable; the sister of Hansel.
- Hansel: Popular nursery rhyme character from German fable; the brother of Gretel.
- Heinz: Translates to ‘ruler of the home’ and is similar to the English name ‘Henry.’
- Hund: The German word for ‘dog.’
- Jaeger: Translates to ‘Hunter’ in German. While your shepherd is more of a herder than a hunter, the name is a popular choice for GSDs.
- Kaiser: A German term meaning ‘ruler.’
- Rasch: Translates to 'fast.'
- Schnapps: Spirits, in German.
- Stark: Translates to 'strong.'
- Stein: A traditional German beer mug.
Famous German Shepherd Names
There are a number of famous Germans—both canine and human—that might inspire the perfect name for your dog. Some were famous for their real-life accomplishments, like Rin-Tin-Tin or Bullet (the first seeing eye dog) and others were famous for on-screen antics, like Bullet of the Roy Rogers show. Germany also had many famous composers, musicians, and scientists that might make the perfect name for your German shepherd.
A to Z German Shepherd Names
If you need more inspiration, here are more names that are great choices for a German shepherd dog.
A to B
C to F
G to H
I to L
M to Q
R to Z
Other German Shepherd Name Ideas
For more German shepherd name ideas, check out: