Finding the perfect name for any pet can be difficult. Unlike mammals such as cats and dogs, lizards such as leopard geckos, bearded dragons, blue-tongued skinks, monitors, and others may not have distinctive markings or unique personalities. But that doesn't mean they can't sport an awesome and unique name. Here are a few ways to choose.
Watch Now: Pet Lizard–Top Names and Fascinating Facts
Names from Literature and Movies
Lizards are a staple of literature and movies. While chameleons may rarely star in first-run films, dragons and dinosaurs are everywhere. And after all, why shouldn't your cute little gecko have a terrifying name? Here are a few options for lizards of all sizes.
- Godzilla: Perfect for a tiny, inoffensive anole, the name evokes images of rampaging monsters overwhelming post-War Toyko.
- Toothless: From the movie How to Train Your Dragon, Toothless is everyone's favorite lizardlike good-guy. He's all-black, but even spotted lizards can be toothless.
- Jabberwock: The Jabberwock is a creature invented by Lewis Caroll and made famous in the poem of the same name. We don't know much about Jabberwocks except that they have "eyes of flame," and enjoy "whiffling through tulgey woods" while burbling. Still, the Jabberwock is usually portrayed in illustrations as sort of scary lizard!
- Smaug: The dragon from The Hobbit, Smaug is classically greedy and apt to snap when his goodies are grabbed.
- Mushu: The cute sidekick from the film Mulan, Mushu is a great name for a cuddly lizard friend.
- Norbert: Here's a great, cute, human name for a lizard. Its source, of course, is the book (and movie) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Norbert is the adorable fire-breathing baby dragon hatched by the part-giant Rubeus Hagrid.
Names That Make You Smile
One reason lizards are considered to be "exotic" pets is the reality that they're neither cuddly, adorable, or likely to become anyone's "best friend." That's why cuddly pet names for lizards can be so much fun! Try a few of these on for size, especially if your lizard is unusually large, scaly, ugly, or grouchy.
Descriptive Lizard Names
Is your lizard large or small? Spotted or plain? Is it a vegetarian or a meat eater? What color is it? All of these qualities can help you to pick a fun, descriptive name. Here are just a few suggestions.
- Spot: A classic name that's not just for puppies anymore!
- Pepper: Have a lizard with tiny spots of color? Pepper may be a perfect fit.
- Scoot: Many smaller lizards move like the wind, making this a perfect name (along with other, similar names such as Scooter, Racer, and Zippy).
- Jade: Jade, of course, is green: the color of many lizards. Consider other color-related names; for example, for your green lizard: Emerald, Esmeralda, Kiwi, Avocado, or Leaf. For a brown lizard, some options include Autumn, Cocoa, Cappucino, Latte, or Woody.
- Spike: Many lizards have spikes, scales, beards, or claws that give them a distinctive look. In addition to Spike, consider names like Claws, Jaws, and so forth. They're a little on the ferocious side, but they may be a good choice for your particular pet.
Only the bravest pet owners choose to own reptiles, so don't those reptiles deserve imposing names from history? Here are a few you might select:
- Tiberius: Not only the name of a Roman emperor but Tiberius is also the middle name of Captain James Tiberius Kirk of the Star Ship Enterprise.
- Spartacus: A heroic Roman Gladiator, Spartacus was played by the awe-inspiring Kirk Douglas in the movie.
- Blackbeard: Not only might this name actually describe your lizard fairly accurately, but it's also the name of one of the most famous and feared pirates ever to sail the seven seas.
- Pendragon: Containing the important word "dragon," Pendragon is also the family name of the legendary King Arthur.
- Clint: Who could possibly be manlier than the iconic Clint Eastwood?
It can be hard to choose just the right name for your reptile pet, so it may be a good idea to try out a few before making a final decision. After all, your pet will have to live with its name forever!