It's no surprise that Yorkshire Terriers—otherwise known as Yorkies—are one of the most popular dog breeds in the world. Not only are their teddy bear-like looks downright adorable, but their personalities are as big and unique as any human's. Some Yorkies may be diva purse pooches, while others can be rough-and-tumble dogs that love to hunt small prey.
Whether you're looking for a glam name to match your Yorkie's diva-esque personality, a tough guy name, a Yorkie name from history or Hollywood, or a just plain old cute name for your dog, we've rounded up our top picks for Yorkie dog names.
Top Names for Yorkies
According to the American Kennel Club, Yorkshire Terriers ranked in the top 10 most popular dog breeds in 2016, 2017, and 2018—and it doesn't seem like their popularity will wane any time soon. Here are some of the most popular names for one of the world's most popular dogs.
Tips for Naming Your Dog
Before you choose a name for your Yorkie, there are several considerations you and your family must make. Your family—and your dog—has to live with the name you choose for years to come, so take your time and choose wisely. No pressure, right?
When searching for the perfect name, be sure to consider your dog's physical appearance. What color is her coat? Does she have a distinct pattern? Does she have any distinguishing characteristics? Then, perhaps more importantly, consider your dog's personality. Is she a rambunctious girl or does she prefer to lounge on the couch? As previously mentioned, Yorkies tend to have big, bold personalities, so it's important to give him or her a name that matches.
There are a few logistical decisions to make when naming a new dog, too:
- Avoid any names that could sound like a command, such as "sit" and "Kit," as this could confuse your dog.
- Consider names with one or two syllables and hard consonants, which are easier for your dog to hear and understand
- Avoid "funny" or offensive names. If you'd be embarrassed to shout your dog's name in the park, choose something else.
- Choose a name that will grow with your dog. Some names may be cute for puppies, but inappropriate for older, mature dogs.
Names for Female Yorkies
From delicate flowers, to strong females in culture, to classic girl dog names, there are plenty of places to find inspiration for your female Yorkie's name.
Names for Male Yorkies
Yorkies sometimes have a reputation as being "diva dogs," but these rough-and-tumble boy names are anything but.
Names Inspired by Famous Yorkies
Yorkies have appeared in countless books, movies, and TV shows throughout the years. These unique names are inspired by some of the most well-known Yorkies from pop culture history.
"Big" Names for Yorkies
Despite their smaller size—most clock in between 5 and 7 pounds fully grown—Yorkies are well-known for their big, tenacious personalities. So, why not give your pooch a super-sized name to match his super-sized attitude?
- Atlas: In Greek mythology, Atlas was a titan whose job was to literally hold the universe in place. Your Yorkie may not have the upper-body strength of Atlas, but he can play a serious game of tug-of-war, right?
- Bear: Not only do Yorkies look like teddy bears, but a tiny dog named after one of nature's largest creatures is hilariously cute, no?
- Chewy: You've probably noticed that Yorkies bear a striking resemblance to Chewbacca from Starr Wars. Bonus if points if your Chewy can replicate Chewbacca's signature "aggghhhh."
- King: Let's face it—your new dog is going to be the king of the household, anyway, so you might as well give him the most royal name out there.
- Moose: Like Bear, a tiny dog named after a massive woodland creature is just downright adorable.
- Rocky: If your Yorkie has a tough-guy attitude and loves to wrestle around, why not name him after the world's most famous fighter, Rocky Balboa? Just don't be surprised if your Yorkie starts to howl "Adrian!"
- Thor: The Greek god of lightning and thunder, Thor was responsible for a whole lot of racket. Which probably isn't dissimilar from your Yorkie when he barks.
Other Dog Name Ideas
Looking for more dog naming inspiration? Be sure to check out these round-ups: