Specialties: International and Domestic Travel of Companion Animals, Infectious and Zoonotic Diseases, Veterinary Public Health, Animal Welfare, Veterinary Consulting
Dr. Nelva Bryant is a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and a retired LCDR in the U.S. Public Health service with 27+ years professional experience. Currently working in the airline industry, her mission is to improve pet travel via promoting animal welfare, education, and veterinary oversight.
- Member of The Spruce Pets Veterinary Review Board
- 27+ years of experience in the fields of veterinary medicine
- Licensed veterinarian since 1993, with the ability to practice in Georgia and New York
- USDA Accredited Veterinarian (Category 1)
- Retired LCDR in the U.S. Public Health Service, serving 10+ years at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Past positions at CDC include: Quarantine Veterinary Medical Officer (Dog Importation Subject Matter Expert), Veterinary Public Health Consultant, and Chief Veterinary Pathologist
- Currently active in veterinary medicine working in the airline industry and available to provide consultative services
- Industry-first, in-house Veterinarian at Delta Air Lines
- Completed training in Live Animal Transportation at the International Air Transportation Association (IATA) Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Serves on multiple Executive Council/Advisory Board Committees
- Member of the American Veterinary Medical Association
Dr. Bryant’s veterinary career is not typical. Upon graduating from veterinary college, she was torn between small animal clinical practice and veterinary pathology. After being in clinical practice for one year, she decided to take steps towards becoming a veterinary pathologist. She obtained additional veterinary pathology training and then joined the U.S. Army for three years. She then transferred to the U.S. Public Health Service and held numerous positions related to animal and public health. To further advance her skills, she completed an MPH degree through the University of Iowa MPH for Practicing Veterinarians program.
Along her career pathway, Nelva obtained a unique skillset. Her knowledge of veterinary pathology, infectious and zoonotic diseases, veterinary public health, the CDC’s dog importation regulations, international and national animal transportation regulations, and airline live animal transportation policies has made her an expert in the field of animal transportation. As a consultant, she shares her observations at veterinary conferences and via webinars. She also serves on numerous council and advisory boards.
A Word from Dr. Nelva J. Bryant, DVM
“Using my veterinary degree to educate pet owners and benefit pets has been the most rewarding aspect of my career. As a member of the U.S. Public Health Service, I have been able to protect animal and human lives through the practice of veterinary medicine. Currently, my mission is to improve pet travel via promoting animal welfare, education, and veterinary oversight. I’m so excited to work with The Spruce Pets and look forward to sharing my insights.”
Dr. Bryant received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine and her Master of Public Health degree from the University of Iowa-MPH for Practicing Veterinarians Program.
About The Spruce Pets
The Spruce Pets, a Dotdash Meredith brand, is a new kind of pets website offering practical, real-life tips and training advice to help you care for your pet. The Spruce Pets reaches 10 million people each month. Learn more about us, our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy veterinarian advice.