Dr. Nia is a veterinarian with 18 years of small animal clinical experience. She has experience working as a shelter veterinarian, relief veterinarian, and virtual veterinary consultant.
- Contributing writer for The Spruce Pets
- 18 years of clinical experience as a veterinarian
- Founded "The Housecall Vet", a mobile veterinary service
- Co-founded a small animal and exotics hospital
Over the course of almost 20 years, Nia gained a wealth of clinical experience in a variety of practices. Working as a shelter veterinarian at a rescue league in Washington, D.C., remains one of her most rewarding professional experiences.
Nia founded "The Housecall Vet," a mobile veterinary service. Later she co-founded a small animal and exotics hospital in Alexandria. She served as co-owner, veterinarian and practice manager for almost 10 years before relocating.
Current professional activities include working as a relief veterinarian and contributing to The Spruce Pets. She also provides consulting services to pet owners through a virtual platform.
Dr. Nia received her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine from Tuskegee University College of Veterinary Medicine in 2002.
Awards, Organizations, and Recognitions
- Member of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) since 2002
- Northern Virginia Magazine named "The Housecall Vet" as Northern Virginia's best mobile veterinary service in 2007
- Featured in "5 Flowers, 4 Stories, 3 Cheers for Animals," an official publication of The Girl Scouts of the USA in 2010
- Received the "New Generation Leader Award" from the Northern Virginia Urban League Young Professionals Network in 2011
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.