Dr. Nia is a veterinarian with 18 years of small animal clinical experience. She has experience working as a shelter veterinarian, relief veterinarian, and virtual veterinary consultant.
- Contributing writer for The Spruce Pets
- 18 years of clinical experience as a veterinarian
- Founded "The Housecall Vet", a mobile veterinary service
- Co-founded a small animal and exotics hospital
Over the course of almost 20 years, Nia gained a wealth of clinical experience in a variety of practices. Working as a shelter veterinarian at a rescue league in Washington, D.C., remains one of her most rewarding professional experiences.
Nia founded "The Housecall Vet," a mobile veterinary service. Later she co-founded a small animal and exotics hospital in Alexandria. She served as co-owner, veterinarian and practice manager for almost 10 years before relocating.
Current professional activities include working as a relief veterinarian and contributing to The Spruce Pets. She also provides consulting services to pet owners through a virtual platform.
Dr. Nia received her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine from Tuskegee University College of Veterinary Medicine in 2002.
Awards, Organizations, and Recognitions
- Member of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) since 2002
- Northern Virginia Magazine named "The Housecall Vet" as Northern Virginia's best mobile veterinary service in 2007
- Featured in "5 Flowers, 4 Stories, 3 Cheers for Animals," an official publication of The Girl Scouts of the USA in 2010
- Received the "New Generation Leader Award" from the Northern Virginia Urban League Young Professionals Network in 2011
About The Spruce Pets
The Spruce Pets, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of pets website offering practical, real-life tips and training advice to help you care for your pet. The Spruce Pets reaches 10 million people each month. Learn more about us, our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy veterinarian advice.