Looking for an absolutely stellar dog name? Look to the stars! Our very own galaxy is jam-packed with out-of-this-world dog-naming inspiration. From planets, to constellations, to your favorite space-themed movies, we've rounded up some of the most unique space-themed dog names out there.
Dog Names Inspired by Planets & Space Phenomena
Sure, there are an estimated 500 solar systems in our galaxy alone, but why not start with the one we call home? Our neighboring planets and amazing space phenomena can provide some seriously cute and creative dog-naming inspiration.
Tips for Naming Your New Dog
The countdown to bringing home doggo is on! After stocking up on nutritious dog food, choosing a comfortable, cozy bed, and loading the toy box with lots of engaging toys, there's only one thing left on the doggy to-do list: Choosing the perfect name.
Choosing the ideal name for your new dog can be tough. Not only do you have to choose something that matches his or her personality, but you have to get the whole family on board with the name, too. Not sure where to begin? Here's our advice:
- Consider names that contain hard consonants and one to two syllables. These names will be easier for your dog to hear and understand.
- Avoid names that could sound like a command or other word. Think: "walk" and "Dock" or "sit" and "Kit."
- Avoid "funny" or potentially embarrassing names. If you'd be embarrassed to shout your dog's name across the park, choose something else.
Dog Names Inspired by Space Explorers
Space research, technology, and travel has led to some of history's most amazing—and scariest—moments. Pay homage to the brave men, women, and animals of space exploration with one of these totally heroic monikers.
- Shepard: In 1961, Rear Admiral Alan Shepard became the first-ever American to travel into space.
- Armstrong: Neil Armstrong was the first human to ever set foot on the moon. Does the phrase, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" ring a bell?
- Buzz: Neil Armstrong's partner, Buzz Aldrin was one of the first two humans to land on the moon.
- Sally: Sally Ride became the first American woman to go into space on the 1983 Challenger mission.
- Valentina: A member of the Russian state Duma, Valentina Tereshkova was the first—and youngest—woman to go to space in 1963.
- Mae: Mae Jemison made history when she became the first black woman to travel into space aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavor.
- Laika: Laika was a Soviet stray that was recruited for the Sputnik 2 mission in 1957. She was one of the first animals to enter space and the very first to orbit Earth.
- Newton: One of history's most influential scientists, Sir Isaac Newton formulated the laws of motion and universal gravitation. Without his work throughout the 17th century, the space program would have never launched.
- Halley: Edmond Halley was an English astronomer who first discovered Halley's Coment.
- Albert: The first primate to ever enter space, Albert was a rhesus macaque who rode in a V-2 rocket launch in 1948.
Dog Names from Space Movies
Whether you prefer classic space movies, like Star Wars and Alien, or prefer more contemporary flicks, like Moon, the silver screen is chock-full of creative, space-inspired dog names. Here are some of our favorite monikers from some of the most popular. movies on this side of the Milky Way.
- Chewie (Star Wars)
- Thor (Thor)
- Ripley (Alien)
- Leia (Star Wars)
- Jack (Apollo 13)
- Capa (Sunshine)
- Luke (Star Wars)
- Eve (WALL-E)
- Bell (Moon)
- Watney (The Martian)
- Roy (Close Encounters of the Third Kind)
- Yoda (Star Wars)
Space Names for Female Dogs
Your newest good girl is obviously going to become the center of your universe, so it only makes sense to give her an astrological name, right? Here are some of our top picks for female dogs.
Space Names for Male Dogs
There's a reason Sirius is often called the Dog Star—it's the brightest, most visible star in the night sky, from anywhere on the planet. Sounds a lot like your new furry family member, huh? Check out these space-inspired names for your good boy.
Other Dog Naming Ideas
Want even more inspiration for your new dog's name? Be sure to check out: