Take a look at these interesting statistics about pets, according to a 2001-2002 survey conducted by the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA).
- There are approximately 68 million owned dogs in the United States.
- Four in ten (or 40 million) U.S. households own at least one dog.
- Most owners own just one dog (63%).
- About one-fourth (24%) of owners own two dogs.
- 13% of owners own three or more dogs.
- There is an equal number of male and female dogs owned in the United States.
- 20% of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter.
- On average, dog owners spent $196 on veterinary-related expenses in the past 12 months.
- Seven of ten owned dogs are spayed or neutered.
- There are approximately 73 million owned cats in the United States.
- Three in ten (or 34.7 million) U.S. households own at least one cat.
- One-half of cat-owning households (49%) own one cat; the remaining (51%) own two or more.
- There are a similar number of owned female (51%) versus male (49%) cats in the U.S.
- 20% of owned cats were adopted from an animal shelter.
- Cat owners spent an average of $104 on veterinary-related expenses in the past 12 months.
- Eight of ten owned cats are spayed or neutered.