They say there are plenty of fish in the sea. We say, there are just as many perfect names for your newest white fish—and maybe even more! Whether it's your first fish or fiftieth fish, choosing the perfect name can be fun and challenging, especially if you have a massive fish tank.
Not sure where to begin? We've rounded up 70 names for your white fish inspired by nature, languages from around the globe, television and movies, and more.
Top Names for White Fish
Did you know fish are the third most common pet in the United States? Whether you choose a goldfish, betta fish, guppie, or something more exotic, it's important to take the time to give your finned friend a special name. Why? It's true that fish don't respond to their owners' voices like cats or dogs, but studies have shown that they can recognize them. Plus, it'll help you create a stronger bond with your fish—you can't exactly cuddle him, after all.
- Beluga (the irony won't be lost on anyone if you choose this name for a tiny fish!)
- Great White
Tips for Naming Your New White Fish
Having a hard time choosing the perfect name for your new fish? Finding the right moniker can be especially challenging if you have a big fish tank—or lots of fish that look similar—so be sure to consider:
- If your fish has any special, distinguishing characteristics. Do they have a notch in their tail? Or especially iridescent scales?
- Your fish's coloring, breed, size, or behavior. Are they the tiniest fish in the tank? Do they love to dart around near the top of the water?
- Drawing inspiration from your favorite things. Are you obsessed with horror movies? Or 60s jam bands? Get inspired by the things you know and love.
- A name that makes you smile. If you've ever wanted to use a name, but couldn't for a particular reason, now is your chance! Just avoid any names that could be considered offensive—you don't want to offend friends or family when you point out your new fish in his or her tank.
White Fish Names Inspired by Nature
From snowy mountain tops to the white crests on ocean waves, there's plenty of white fish naming inspiration to draw straight from Mother Nature.
White Fish Names from Different Languages
Your fish may be contained to their tank, so why not give them a more worldly experience? Choosing a name from a different language can be super unique—just make sure you're saying and spelling it correctly!
- Alba (meaning "white" in Latin)
- Ange (meaning "angel" in French)
- Blanche (meaning "white" in French)
- Blanco or Blanca (meaning "white" in Spanish)
- Branco (meaning "white" in Portuguese)
- Haukea (meaning "white snow" in Hawaiian)
- Kumo (meaning "cloud" in Japanese)
- Plata (meaning "silver" in Spanish)
- Seren (meaning "star" in Welsh)
- Yuki (meaning "snow" in Japanese)
White Fish Names from Television, Movies, and Music
Consider yourself a total movie buff? Love to binge-watch your favorite television series? Have a music collection that rivals the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame? Like we said before, if you're having trouble naming your new fish, stick to what you know and love. Here are some of our favorite fish names from television, movies, music, and more.
- Betty White, the most beloved actress from Golden Girls
- Casper, the friendly ghost
- Chalky White, the infamous gangster from HBO's Boardwalk Empire
- Donald (Duck), from countless Disney cartoons, movies, and books
- Draco, from the Harry Potter book and film series
- Jack White, from the alternative band The White Stripes
- Jaws, the great white shark from the classic movie
- Snoopy, the cartoon dog
- Vanna White, the gameshow hostess
- Walter White, the good guy turns bad (or is it the other way around?) from Breaking Bad
Names That Aren't Inspired by Your Fish's Coloring
Looking for a name that doesn't refer to your white fish's coloring? The world is your oyster! Here are some of our favorite names to get you started.
Other Fish Naming Ideas
Looking for more fish naming inspiration? Be sure to check out: